The Art of War USx Rd 16 | VN/BFP Travian Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One epic hangover

+8
Paragon-Kol
Aman
Surfer
Mortis-Woodz
Miaka
ToxicLove
JohnDear
Hucca
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

One epic hangover - Page 2 Empty Re: One epic hangover

Post by Paragon-Kol Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:10 am

As of several months ago its legal to sell absinth with wormwood in it in the US again. I noticed it when I was in Boston for the Steelers-Patriots game, and got much too long a story when I asked about it.

Just did some looking into it, aparantly they need to filter out some chemical called Thujone for the FDA to approve its sale in the US.
Paragon-Kol
Paragon-Kol
Level 2
Level 2

Number of posts : 807
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:18 am

Kolusius wrote:As of several months ago its legal to sell absinth with wormwood in it in the US again. I noticed it when I was in Boston for the Steelers-Patriots game, and got much too long a story when I asked about it.

Just did some looking into it, aparantly they need to filter out some chemical called Thujone for the FDA to approve its sale in the US.

You can buy absinthe in the US... but here's a bit of a history and run down on why you shouldn't Wink

Absinthe is often referred to as the green fairy, due to the fact that it is a green colored liquor. This is in part due to the Thujone(an extract from wormwood, which is toxic, however the thujone is not but is a hallucinogen). This is the liquor Picasso and the like drank. Long story short, way back in the day they couldn't get the coloring right in every batch, so they would add some paint to make it the same color. As we all know paint was lead based, leading to lead poisoning, leading to absinthe being banned in the US.

You can transport it into the US, you can buy it online nad have it shipped(though its quite pricey). And apparently you can now buy it in the US(in some states) however it is not the same stuff. On the label it will list the thujone content(mg/l). The stuff that is legal in the US is 10mg/l of thujone. the original recipe is normally 100mg/l... The thing is the effects of the thujone are much weaker than the effects of alocohol, so at 10mg/l you are more likely to get drunk than hallucinate(you can get drunk and hallucinate, however you being drunk will overpower most of hte hallucinations...) Thus the true recipe stuff is much better, you need a much smaller quantity, and as absinthe is normally 80+proof its relatively strong liquor...

then you get into the ways to go about drinking it and such, melting sugar in a spoon and drizzling water over it, makes it taste better and lowers the alcohol content slightly to make it more potent...

i would strongly suggest everyone try some, its good stuff if you can handle the taste, and an interesting experience, however rather pricey(good bottles sell for 100+USD online... and even in prague the stuff was riduclously expensive for a true recipe...).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:27 am

nice sum up! I'm going by Discovery... but in the US - it's crazy low. (the hallucinogen) Tried some with a friend that brought it back last summer = great fun... totally wasted.... no side effects.... except a ROCKING hangover. good times.... (mostly) Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alkirra Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:40 am

haha, fark dat!

i dont think any alcohol is banned here in perth!

how can they?, australia's like the biggest drinking country in the world!!

(percentage wise that it)
Alkirra
Alkirra
Level 3
Level 3

Number of posts : 1017
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:30 am

I know what you are saying. I had a prom party this year when my dad went to the kentucky derby and i had soo many jagerbombs that i went through 2 bottles with 4 friends in 30 min and then started chuggin beer through a quadrapus (water jug cut in half with 4 tubes coming out)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:31 am

i had a hangover for the entire next day

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:51 am

that above sounds sweet..... Ideas forming. pay attantion HoG. 2 weeks we'll try that with KB and maybe LukiePoo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hucca Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:54 am

Im cured!

The absinth is banned in Finland as well. The thing is that my friends granny didnt knew it and she visited Jamaica. The bottle had some funky looking herbs in it and I bet that if I tried to sneak through customs with that bottle I would be in "safe position" getting my ass checked Very Happy

I didnt see any lebrechauns but somehow both me and my friend could speak germany (at least we sang it loudly).

Lesson learned: be a granny and you can do anything.
Hucca
Hucca
Site Admin
Site Admin

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:44 am

I used to get really big hangovers, but nowdays I hot or cold (depending on the season) shower does the trick so I can go out shopping and be prepped for the night, or work ahead lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:24 am

Heliox wrote:There's a reason Bloody Marys are the premier hangover cure.
1) You want the egg to coat your stomach to protect it from 2 and 3
2) Tomato Juice is lightly acidic, which helps get your blood moving
3) The vodka dilates your blood vessels, alleviating any kind of head ache you may have.

I don't know what kind of Bloody Marys you're making....but who the heck puts eggs in thiers?

Vodka (Absolut Peppar if you have it), some solid bloody mary mix, tobassco, warcheshier sauace(butchered that word), some salt, pepper, and a celerry stick for a garnish.

And yes, I did used to be a bartender. drunken

If bloody marys don't do the trick for hangovers, alka seltzer works pretty damn well too. They even have a specific kind now that's made for hangovers. I plans on bringing a package with me when I head down to the beach at the end of the month. Pool side Tiki Bar + every person coming is bringing 2 bottles of liquor = Me ----> Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnDear Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:34 am

Gatorade
JohnDear
JohnDear
Alliance Drunk
Alliance Drunk

Number of posts : 4033
Registration date : 2008-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Zergzilla Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:35 am

JohnDear wrote:Gatorade

Tequila!!! This is the only time it helps to have the salt and lime!
Zergzilla
Zergzilla
Level 3
Level 3

Number of posts : 1337
Registration date : 2008-05-28

http://www.myspace.com/zergzilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Hucca Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:37 am

Fingers.
Hucca
Hucca
Site Admin
Site Admin

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:09 pm

hucca wrote:

Fingers.

Gatorade is damn good as well.

Fingers...? You mean pulling the trigger? I mean, yeah, that works if you do it the night before.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:22 pm

Blackrain wrote:nice sum up! I'm going by Discovery... but in the US - it's crazy low. (the hallucinogen) Tried some with a friend that brought it back last summer = great fun... totally wasted.... no side effects.... except a ROCKING hangover. good times.... (mostly) Smile
Yeah- so I am way late on this convo but I wanted to throw in my two cents- Absenth tastes like black licorice for those who dont know and I didnt get any hang over from it- that was the best part in my opinion. I did chase it with some other shot called "beso de novia" which is pretty weak alcohol. I think he got the hang over from the other stuff...

Back to top Go down

Post by dark-clarity Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:25 pm

whew, 22 year sober here.
dark-clarity
dark-clarity
Level 3
Level 3

Number of posts : 1415
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://darkclarity.blog-city.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lysander Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:32 pm

dark-clarity wrote:whew, 22 year sober here.
27 yr here.
Lysander
Lysander

Number of posts : 1573
Registration date : 2008-05-29

http://merx.clannow.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dark-clarity Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:05 am

a tip of the hat there brother. a battle at a time.
dark-clarity
dark-clarity
Level 3
Level 3

Number of posts : 1415
Registration date : 2008-07-02

http://darkclarity.blog-city.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:09 am

I made it almost 19 - then college was on my doorstep. I'm not too crazy - but I'm gonna be a life-long wine-o. (because I'm building one in about 3 years with my family - we just got a vineyard started last year.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:43 am

emonemo wrote:haha, fark dat!

i dont think any alcohol is banned here in perth!

how can they?, australia's like the biggest drinking country in the world!!

(percentage wise that it)
Ever been to Ireland?
They hand newborns a bottle of whiskey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2