The Art of War USx Rd 16 | VN/BFP Travian Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any Networking Gurus or People Good with Electricity here?

Go down

Any Networking Gurus or People Good with Electricity here? Empty Any Networking Gurus or People Good with Electricity here?

Post by Guest Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:09 am

I have an interesting problem and this is completely off topic.

My company is installing some high powered wireless access points at the police station here so that the police officers can wireless upload their dash-cam video. These APs are in a ruggidized box that has a case fan in it to circulate air.

Now the electrician that came out there was supposed to run 1 POE (power over ethernet) and 1 standard electric cable there... Unfortunately he ran 2 POE cables.

So here is my question, would it be possible to splice the wires from the case fan (its just a standard computer case fan) into the power lines on the POE cable? If so, does anyone have the schematic of the CAT6 cable so that I can figure out exactly which cable the power is on?

I know the simple answer is to have the electrician come and run the correct cable. Alas, anyone that has worked with the state understands just how difficult it is to get the state to do anything...

Anyone with thoughts post here or IGM/PM/IM me.

Back to top Go down

Any Networking Gurus or People Good with Electricity here? Empty Re: Any Networking Gurus or People Good with Electricity here?

Post by Guest Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:22 am

You have my simpathy for working with the state. Assuming you are using the IEEE standard (IEEE 802.af). You have a selectable 36–57 V and 10–400 mA avalible as power. However, there is no "standared" computer fan. One must first ask what are the power requirements (and the electrical resistance) of the fan.

Back to top Go down

Any Networking Gurus or People Good with Electricity here? Empty Re: Any Networking Gurus or People Good with Electricity here?

Post by Guest Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:26 am

12v and .56A is what is on the back of the fan...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:31 am

.56A=560MA. So you would need to take a 48V 400mA Power source and transform it to 12V and 560mA. I could just be a hack, but that is most likely going to be not overly workable. Depending on what standard of PoE was used

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:34 am

lol thats what I told them. From what it looks like they are just not gonna use the fans and just replace the APs every 6-8 months since they will overheat and shut down from them running at 170 degrees during the day and barely cooling off at night.

Gotta love the state. (I don't care btw, cos its just another service call for me and I get paid commission Razz)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:41 am

Get one of these:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=368

POE to 12V output. Kinda expensive to burn a POE port for a 12V fan. The alternative would be to disconnect the CAT6 from your POE switch and wire up a pair of wires with a 12V adapter. Say put + on brown and - on brown white and hook your fan up to those wires.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:12 pm

Clackdor wrote:Get one of these:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=368

POE to 12V output. Kinda expensive to burn a POE port for a 12V fan. The alternative would be to disconnect the CAT6 from your POE switch and wire up a pair of wires with a 12V adapter. Say put + on brown and - on brown white and hook your fan up to those wires.

Badass... Thats exactly what I need! I'm retarded for not looking for that first. The box actually has the fan directly wired into and it runs off of a 12V connection. So I should be able to get those setup there and just have the box run off that adapter.

Back to top Go down

Post by TaoWarrior Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:46 pm

Damn you I once tried to get the same kinda contract in place, just as we were coming up with the final terms Sprint walked in and undercut us with a wireless network and IP phones that would work anywhere in town saving a bunch of cell chargess for the officers.

I would not have been quite as pissed about loosing except we resold sprint! Bastards.
TaoWarrior
TaoWarrior
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2008-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:57 pm

you do not want to splice cat6. You will get cross talk and feedback on your wireless network if you do. (BTW this type of thing is part of my job. Im a net/sys admin) Best bet is if you want extra power run out there to just get the dude back and make him redo it the right way. He should do it for free as he was told to do it differently.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:58 pm

Krijgsheer wrote:Damn you I once tried to get the same kinda contract in place, just as we were coming up with the final terms Sprint walked in and undercut us with a wireless network and IP phones that would work anywhere in town saving a bunch of cell chargess for the officers.

I would not have been quite as pissed about loosing except we resold sprint! Bastards.

Wireless VoIP... Thats bad... Sad

Packets get dropped and the end of a sentence comes before the beginning... People tend not to like that...

Even though I can tell you some fun things that you can do with cell phones to save ALOT of money if you are in a semi-rural area...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:00 pm

Wicked Court wrote:you do not want to splice cat6. You will get cross talk and feedback on your wireless network if you do. (BTW this type of thing is part of my job. Im a net/sys admin) Best bet is if you want extra power run out there to just get the dude back and make him redo it the right way. He should do it for free as he was told to do it differently.

The sad thing is that it was a state electrician that did it. Our city contact would have to requisition another electrician, hence the idea of trying to work something else out. I think the POE to 12v converter will work just fine, since like I said before the box itself runs off of 12v and has the fan hardwired into it.

Its a fun theory game to play though isn't it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down